Home Find a professional Feedback Find out what's new at Divorce Online

Old 01-31-2008, 08:45 PM   #1
chair286

FAFSA and child support
I have a son heading out to college next year and an ex-wife filling out the FAFSA paperwork. She included alimony as income which was fine because its included in her taxes. But there is a line in there for "child support." This surpirsed me as it is not required for tax purposes. Adding child support threw the numbers way out of wack. Are we correct in having to add child support? Any ways around this?
Thanks
chair286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:30 PM   #2
zuzuzu

Re: FAFSA and child support
Child support ended for my D at the age of 18 anyway, so I don't know whether it would have been figured into the FAFSA numbers. College meant she was a full-time student but the ex paid 100% for her private college education, so I wouldn't have made an issue out of it.
zuzuzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
steamy

I can do a FAFSA in my sleep! My X & I alternate tax years declaring the kids. I always do the FAFSA's and included child -support when I was still getting it. Ours were done at 18, or end of high school, so it was really only the first year for one of them. Just finished up doing 3 of them a few days ago, I have one for me too..Just make sure to keep your password so for next year,makes it so much easier!
Old 02-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Sage3

Hey Steamy.. since you're the expert, would you have the answers to these questions: My ex thinks I can file the fafsa's with just my income - even though we do 50/50. To do this, do I need to file HOH the tax year I fill out the forms? (My D still has 2 years of high school)

Does the FAFSA take into account one's house equity? (I'm thinking of selling the house when D goes off to college but wonder if that would then be considered money available... or if I should hold onto the property till after college years)

And, does FAFSA really require ones spouse (step parent) to include their income? (if so, then that puts marriage off for those college years)

Thanks for any of these questions you can answer!
Sage3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
steamy

Eeks no expert here, (only in my situation), but I was the primary parent and you only need one income, all i had was alimony. I don't know about HOH.

No house equity taken , just income. I am not remarried, so I'm not sure. Google FAFSA or call them, they are very helpful, the web site is very user friendly. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2008, 07:50 AM   #6
iamunique

In prepraring FAFSA you have to include the following:

Child support, all investment accounts (except retirement), the balance of checking/saving accounts at the time of filing, spousal support and if you are remarried then your husband income.

Hope this will help.

Gene Hill

Last edited by iamunique; 02-01-2008 at 08:22 AM..
iamunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:12 AM   #7
kara.

Why wouldn't it be "fair" Chair? They are trying to evaluate the total money your ex's household has available to pay for college....child support is part of that. I do put fair in quotes as the concept of fair is quite debatable but it depends what end of the stick you're on I suppose.

I guess you got by without having to fill out any "noncustodial CSS PROFILE"s then! I'd be happy to gripe about those with you...we just did for my stepson and it was due last night...like doing your taxes only even more work! And I LUV the fact that my income as a stepparent is counted...to me it feels like that should be a voluntary contribution, not one that essentially I am obligated to by the colleges, but they are just trying to do the best they can to get people to pay and not slip around the rules through divorce situations I suppose.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #8
RealTime

chair --

"Are we correct in having to add child support?"

Yep.

"Any ways around this?"

Maybe. However, I doubt that your ex will like it. As a test, fill out the FAFSA as if you are claiming the child on your tax form. If it works out better, start claiming the kid. I'm not a tax expert. I don't know if you could retroactively claim the kid for this year.

That is, of course, if your ex doesn't mind.

My ex makes considerably less money than I. Guess who claims our son?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #9
kara.

RT- Who fills out the financial aid forms does not depend on who gets the child as a tax deduction...separate issues.

For the FAFSA, it is supposed to be the custodial or primary custodial parent who fills it out for their household.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #10
RealTime

"RT- Who fills out the financial aid forms does not depend on who gets the child as a tax deduction...separate issues."

Yes. I understand this.

"For the FAFSA, it is supposed to be the custodial or primary custodial parent who fills it out for their household."

No kidding? I thought it was whoever had the deduction that year. If that's true, I've been cheating myself!

chair -- Okay. Let me revise my advice. As a test, fill out the form as if you were the custodial parent. If it makes a difference, aske her to let you become the custodial parent.