Home Find a professional Feedback Find out what's new at Divorce Online

Old 12-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #1
Bluefish

Alabama
Abortion. Say what you will, that's the issue that will put a putative child molester in office. This morning NPR broadcast a conversation with an evangelical minister and he made a pretty good case for voting for Moore based on the abortion issue. Not a great case, as the minister admitted, but still.

Pro-choice voters can't see the issue the way pro-life voters do. But when you're faced with the "Sophie's Choice" of picking between the deaths of millions of babies-in-the-womb with the strong probability that a man messed with young girls, which do you think is the lesser of two evils?

Democrats could have easily beaten Trump and would hands-down win this Alabama election if they could find their way to understanding how strongly otherwise good people feel about the abortion issue.
Bluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
RealTime

Re: Alabama
Hi Blue -- I get it. I really do. And I understand. If it is murder, you must fight it with every element of your being.

However, we live in the temporal plane. Today, the abortion rate is actually lower than it was when abortion was illegal. If it were declared illegal at the federal level, how much lower would it actually go, if any? If it were declared illegal at the federal level, and declared illegal at every state level, how would that effect the abortion rate, if at all? Women would continue to have abortions. More would die and be injured in illegal abortion mills, especially poor women.

And what have right wing politicians really done for social conservatives? During the entire eight years of the W presidency, there is only one actual accomplishment. Terry Schiavo. They will take your votes and your money. and won't do anything for you.
Old 12-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Bluefish

Agree on a lot of that, RT. Especially the idea that most Republicans have been extremely cynical in being anti-abortion while relegating that issue to the bottom of their wish list. Those are folks who are pro-birth, not really pro-life--an all-inclusive principle that extends from conception to the end of natural life and everything in between.

I can't imagine that illegal abortions would be anywhere near as numerous as legal abortions have been. There have been over 59,000,000 abortions (!) in the U.S. since Roe v Wade.

Aside: Is it any wonder we actually *need* all the immigration we can get; i.e., to replace our missing population? If you think about it, that's another anomaly on the Republicans' part.

Last edited by Bluefish; 12-13-2017 at 03:12 PM..
Old 12-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Bluefish

Good result in Alabama in my opinion. Jones is probably temporary, but at least there's one less creep in high office. Hopefully there will be more honorable candidates in coming elections capable of cleansing the body politic of Creep #1.

For someone like myself, political choices are almost always between bad and worse. I'm joining the American Solidarity Party...it matches my druthers very closely.

Last edited by Bluefish; 12-13-2017 at 03:21 PM..
Old 12-15-2017, 07:38 AM   #5
2ndWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefish View Post
...Those are folks who are pro-birth, not really pro-life--an all-inclusive principle that extends from conception to the end of natural life and everything in between.
Pro-birth: that's a good way of putting most Republicans' philosophy on this issue. And why do so few people ever discuss more effective methods of birth control, which would eliminate much of the need for abortions?

And, yes, thank goodness for the Alabama election results.
2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #6
2ndWind

Poor Moore. This election seems to have done him in.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...book/23314612/
2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote