Home Find a professional Feedback Find out what's new at Divorce Online

Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #21
Phoebe

Re: Revolution in Iran
Quote:
I just want Obama to direct his human rights talk he gave in Cairo towards Iran.
We must tread very carefully with that comment, Steamy. Iran/Iraq are very different culture with a differet set of beliefs than ours. Alot of their beliefs are tied in their religion, etc. I would not want to impose, thrust, or force our values over theirs. To me, that is ethnocentric rather than having respect for them and letting them work it out themselves.

As far as the women go in that country, I believe very strongly that they are strong enough to cause a change. That is why we have civil wars. Here in America, we had a civil war between the north and the south. Look what happened, slavery was abolished. I am all for that.

America is far too nosy and manipulative when it comes to interfering with other countries. We have enough problems in our own backyard, I prefer that Obama pay attention to us for once, such as health care reform, education, and our own human rights - allowing the same sex couples to access benefits for each other. For the life of me, why fight someone else battle when we have our own problems here. Last but not least, our financial situation needs to recover as well.

Our definition of human rights is very different from theirs, let it be.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #22
2ndWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarRose View Post
It means that 60% of university students in Iran today are women. What did you think it meant?
But what is your point?
2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #23
2ndWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
As far as the women go in that country, I believe very strongly that they are strong enough to cause a change.
I wish that were true, Phoebe.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 AM   #24
2ndWind

"The U.S. must be a quiet ally to Iran's protesters":
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,6483575.story
Old 06-23-2009, 10:14 AM   #25
Phoebe

Why you say that? Explain that to me and is it our right to intervene? We are just pushing our values on to them without understanding their point of view.

I have a friend who is from India. We talked about women and men, the roles they play. Typically, the women in India tend to follow the husband. My friend said with a huge wink that women usually are the glue that hold the family together but they let the man think that he does.

It is all in perspective, tied into history, culture, norms, value, etc. I do not like oppression any more than anyone else. But let the country go through their own evolution. It has always been my belief that women are tougher, stronger and more powerful than men. That is why men fight so hard to remain to be the leader. This is going to change in the future.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #26
RealTime

steam --

"I am not advocating invasion, war, stealth killing, violence of any sort. Why is that so hard to believe ?"

Okay. Just tell me what you want those CIA operatives to do.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM   #27
Bluefish

RT, if Iran does in fact reach a point where convincing intel (not the lame stuff that got us into Iraq) shows that Iran has got the bomb and an effective 500 mile delivery system, what should the West (not the US alone--I'd be against that) do about it?

Presumably Israel would act on it first, but does the West then support them militarily?
Bluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #28
steamy

" steam --

"I am not advocating invasion, war, stealth killing, violence of any sort. Why is that so hard to believe ?"

Okay. Just tell me what you want those CIA operatives to do."

I never said I WANTED them on the ground, I am making an assumption that they are. Blue has a good point...

Good article 2nd, wish I would be able to hear the rose garden speech today. From what I have seen most opinion is along these lines, however I think we will be blamed regardless. The regieme hates us.

Phoebe I might have a less isolationist view because of having lived out side the country on & off as an Ameican citizen for 10 years.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #29
RealTime

Blue --

"Presumably Israel would act on it first, but does the West then support them militarily?"

The short answer is "no".

Michael Medved, on his television show, reports that the Israeli airforce is asking for volunteers for a bombing mission into Iran. And I believe him. An Israeli bombing mission into Iran would mean the deaths of hundreds of thousands, probably millions, of people. We aren't giving the Israelis the ground penetrating nukes that would limit the casualties. <BTW, full credit to GWB on that one!> The only way that the strike is going to be effective is if they use conventional nukes. God help us.

Israel already has a nuclear ballistic sub on constant stand by in the Red Sea. They have a fleet of three. Should Iran ever try anything, Tehran would be vaporized in about thirty minutes.

If we wanted to, the West could bring Iran to it's knees with an oil embargo. As there is no political will to do that simple action, there is no political will for military action.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
RealTime

steam --

"I never said I WANTED them on the ground, I am making an assumption that they are."

Okay. They are on the ground. What do you want them to do?