Home Find a professional Feedback Find out what's new at Divorce Online

Old 08-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #21
lexicon

Re: Palin for President !
To be fair, and I seek this, there is controversy in Alaska about Sarah Palin's ability and experience. I'm submitting the following from Alaska's varied outlook: www.newsminer.com

Editors of the News Miner regarding your Opinion letter on Aug. 30th 2008, this is one of the proudest days in Alaskan history, its not a day for running down our state's elected leader.
Sarah Palin - a heart beat away from the presidency provides Alaskan's with the hope of ANWR, with a better shot at AGIA, and with EXXON thinking twice about taking advantage of Alaska! Do you think all the good that may come out of this is worth demeaning her for, besides your points were ill grounded. Obama has NO executive experience, NO major policy's enacted, MINIMAL experience on the national level, and NO real plan for America. He talks on and on about how he plans to fix every problem Americans have, but the only real methods he has put forward are by raising taxes and throwing our money at the problems, he has NO viable plan!!!
Sarah Palin has 13 years as an elected official and in her tenure as Mayor of Wasilla, she reduced property taxes and saw her city become the fastest growing city in the nation. In her 20 months of being Governor she implemented an energy plan that passed through the legislature, she pushed the energy rebate plan that helped hundreds of thousands of Alaskans, many of whom were wondering how they were going to make it through the winter. She passed necessary ethics reform legislation to put an end to the "Good ol boy" system as we've know it.
Would the editors of this news paper propose Obama as the choice for experienced and effective leadership that would benefit Alaskans?
Or will they choose a proven leader who has shown that she can get tough jobs done quickly and with the integrity Americans deserve.

__________________________________________________ ______________

John McCain says that "not [being] from Washington" is the main qualification for his VP choice, Alaskan Governor Sarah Palin.

If not being from Washington qualifies you to be a hair's breadth from the oval office, then there are more than a quarter-billion qualified Americans for the job.

And, one might rightly ask, if not being a Washington insider is so preferable in choosing a candidate, what business do we have electing John McCain, with over a quarter-century as a beltway insider?

Also, if, as Alaskan Republicans claim, Governor Palin's selection is "good for Alaska," which I highly doubt in the first place, what about the other 49 states? Surely they deserve a candidate good for them, too?

It has been said that we are entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. Here's a fact: John McCain chose Governor Palin without even coming to Alaska or sending his search committee. He simply does not know her. Period. Had he vetted her more carefully, he would have found that she is embroiled in not one but two scandals at home, both involving cronyism and bullying from the corner office. One is nakedly personal, involving her misguided attempt to soothe her sister's personal feelings about her ex-husband. The other is about what most corruption is about, money.

Nice.

The scrutiny the Governor brings to Alaska will be good for the hotel industry, as reporters come to dig the dirt, but that may be the end of it. If you'll recall, heightened scrutiny did nothing for Geraldine Ferraro. Also, prior to her scandal-plagued governorship, Ms. Palin was the mayor of a tiny town in the middle of nowhere. There are more children in the school systems of medium-sized American suburbs than there are citizens in Wasilla.

Republicans are going to have a tough time keeping a stiff upper lip as they put their personal credibility on the line for Ms. Palin. Unfortunately, it will take something stronger than a deep swig of Kool-Aid to brace them for this odious task.
lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:17 PM   #22
lizzie

A member of the NRA
Believes in drilling in the Arctic national wildlife refuge
Has sued the US because she doesn't want polar bears being considered endangered (have you seen pictures lately?)
Anti-abortion for any reason
Thinks there is insufficient data on global warning

Nope, just being a woman is certainly not enough to appeal to the disgruntled Clinton supporters.
lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #23
PoignéeUnique

I can only applaud Palin's bold initiative to extend the territorial limit from 12 miles to 12,000 miles - thereby allowing Alaskan-based oil companies to drill in the Gulf of Aden.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:27 AM   #24
2ndWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon View Post
I am an Obama fan....However, NOW that McCain has added Sarah Palin,...well, sorry he has my vote.
Lexi, please explain why Palin would cause you to switch your vote to McCain. I don't get it. I'm sure that she's a competent and strong governor of Alaska but I can't undertand how she reconciles being pro-life with her opposition to same-sex marriage and being a hunting enthusiast (undated phot in this morning's paper of her with one of her daughters, next to a caribou which she shot?) An advocate of teaching creationism in schools, alongside evolution, so students can have a debate? A belief that humans have no effect on global warming and that renewable energy resources won't be available for years?
2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #25
lexicon

"Lexi, please explain why Palin would cause you to switch your vote to McCain. I don't get it. I'm sure that she's a competent and strong governor of Alaska but I can't undertand how she reconciles being pro-life with her opposition to same-sex marriage and being a hunting enthusiast (undated phot in this morning's paper of her with one of her daughters, next to a caribou which she shot?)"

Obviously, 2ndwind, I can't speak for Sarah Palin as regards her outlook/beliefs. I can say, however, living in Alaska is tad different than living elsewhere in the US and people see some aspects of life differently. Some people up here actually do live a subsistance lifestyle, "people eat animals they hunt and kill". People who survive off the land here respect the bounty enough to NOT take more than they need. Still other hunters just hunt to kill and for the sport........I personally never found pleasure in hunting just to kill for sport.

Remember WWII? A. Hitler confiscated all the guns from citizens. That is the reason America holds dearly to their guns. What if? Again, I'm not a gun enthusiast.

Creationism/evolution? Finally, someone dares to say both deserve study and consideration, and that ONE belief may not be everyone's belief. Debate is good for students.

Global warming? Well, spend another 10 million to study how earth changes and what percentage of man's input will alter earth's ever-changing cycle. Without a doubt earth changes,..it's been changing for billions of years.

Renewable energy resources won't be available for years. I live in an oil rich state. Just to get Natural gas (naturally occurring energy)to Fairbanks will take years. There are no new quick energy supply soltions.

Same sex marriage? Marriage as the majority views marriage is between one man one woman. If same sex couples want to "marry", well, I'm sure their are options for contracts. I don't really care, but some people really do care that marriage remains marriage between one man one woman.

I know, no-one knows Sarah Palin, save for we Alaskans,....But I like her!
Old 08-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #26
magic-cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
A member of the NRA
Believes in drilling in the Arctic national wildlife refuge
Has sued the US because she doesn't want polar bears being considered endangered (have you seen pictures lately?)
Anti-abortion for any reason
Thinks there is insufficient data on global warning

Nope, just being a woman is certainly not enough to appeal to the disgruntled Clinton supporters.

Did you see Samantha Bee's little snippet on the Daily Show the other night?

>>>John Stewart: I don't see how McCain truly hopes to woo over the Hillary supporters when, in fact, Sarah Palin is the ideological opposite!

Samantha Bee: Ah, but she is her gynecological twin!<<<

And that is why McCain chose her. This may be the funniest political move of the entire election. Maybe McCain's camp thinks the media will gloss over the investigations of Palin, or that people will let it all go and forget it... Sort of like the mass of people who seem to have forgotten "The Keating Five". **

(**Hey, McCain supporters, look THAT one up and refresh your memories!)

Last edited by magic-cat; 08-31-2008 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: messin' with the italic button again...
magic-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #27
lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon View Post

Remember WWII? A. Hitler confiscated all the guns from citizens. That is the reason America holds dearly to their guns. What if? Again, I'm not a gun enthusiast.

Creationism/evolution? Finally, someone dares to say both deserve study and consideration, and that ONE belief may not be everyone's belief. Debate is good for students.

Global warming? Well, spend another 10 million to study how earth changes and what percentage of man's input will alter earth's ever-changing cycle. Without a doubt earth changes,..it's been changing for billions of years.

Renewable energy resources won't be available for years. I live in an oil rich state. Just to get Natural gas (naturally occurring energy)to Fairbanks will take years. There are no new quick energy supply soltions.

Same sex marriage? Marriage as the majority views marriage is between one man one woman. If same sex couples want to "marry", well, I'm sure their are options for contracts. I don't really care, but some people really do care that marriage remains marriage between one man one woman.

I know, no-one knows Sarah Palin, save for we Alaskans,....But I like her!
Lexi, you're scaring me.
lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:00 AM   #28
lexicon

Well, you need to be a tad more specific Lizzie.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:26 AM   #29
SO713

Thanks Lexi for your information. After reading your last post, you are scaring me too.

I am a great Obama fan.

What a glorious day it was when his declaration of Democratic nomination as a president coincide with 45th anniversay of Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech.

Sorry to bring any doom and gloom but my biggest fear is for his safety since one attempt has already made to shoot him. I pray to God that nothing happens to him.

Bush and anyone who is remotely attached to him in whatever way has to go because it is affecting Canada too and the impact is visibly notable with the dealings Afganistan, Pakistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria, NOrth Korea, Palestine and of course other Arab countries. canadian foreign policy is becoming a replica of Bush/American foreign policy.

Canadian federal elections are predicted to be in Oct. Harper wants it before Bush is out of White House.

Last edited by SO713; 09-01-2008 at 08:29 AM..
SO713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:33 AM   #30
steamy

What scares me is that people are afraid of different opinions!

Another scary thing is the assumption that having political experience is a good thing

Party lines are not open-minded, don't be 'bots!

Happy Labor Day!