Home Find a professional Feedback Find out what's new at Divorce Online

Old 09-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #11
BriarRose

Re: OJ: Will he be a Nevada resident for a while?
"Black people cheered for OJ because it seemed like white people so desperately wanted him convicted just because he was Black" SO Blue I highly doubt that person was lying, they just gave their take on the issue. So why then does a black person feel that way? I belive in cause and effect so what causes this?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 PM   #12
BriarRose

"I still can never understand why the rich and famous think they can get by with whatever they desire. " Maybe pool because they can? The US is money based, it has been form the founders on. Why should you find this surprising
Old 09-18-2007, 02:48 AM   #13
Booktender

Blue 'ol buddy, I think the wide-spread cheering of OJ getting off from the murder charges a few years ago might possibly have been overstated by the press. Think about it - did polls taken afterward and/or media coverage really prove that a lot of people felt OJ's murder trial was all about whites trying to oppress a black man?

And I see no evidence whatsoever that a very large part of the black community seeing that these new charges are examples of racism. How are you drawing this conclusion? I'm just not following your thinking on this.

I'd also be wary of using the reactions you cite above as anything other than the reflection of one person's thinking. I've seen a lot of boards where this kind of race card is being played all the time. American Idol boards. Political discussion groups. Big Brother discussion groups. Even Yahoo Answers!

Some people do feel that there are race issues being used deliberately to smear one group or the other. Well, ok, that's their opinion. I've seen a lot of nativist points of view lately that work the other way, too.

Do you know what I see the most of? People saying stuff like you cite just to get a rise out of someone else. Just to mess with the minds of others. And believe you me, there are plenty of sicko supremacists out there who would post just that sort of thing to stir hatred and recruit for their purposes. You just can't tell why someone would post a thing like that.

There are a lot of odd people out there who live to stir the pot. Don't let their behavior skew reality for you. If you buy into the panic and divisiveness they're trying to spread you're letting them win. Don't let hate-mongers win. I know very well you don't want that and neither do I.

Come for the snarks and funny pictures, stay for the romance novel reviews!

"If not me, who? If not now, when? --Hillel
Booktender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 AM   #14
Booktender

I don't know that being rich and famous has anything to do with this sort of behavior. The items he was trying to get at wouldn't have existed without his fame, of course. I suspect that with OJ's apparent mind-set it just would have been something else - even if he was a complete unknown.

Based on his behavior, I suspect there's more wrong with this particular individual than simple fame and riches.

Come for the snarks and funny pictures, stay for the romance novel reviews!

"If not me, who? If not now, when? --Hillel
Booktender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #15
Legal Editor
Super Moderator

He beat a murder charge but not the civil suits. He may think that he is impervious to the criminal justice system. He also may not think!

Legal Editor
Legal Editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #16
2ndWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booktender View Post
I suspect that with OJ's apparent mind-set, it just would have been something else - even if he was a complete unknown.
Based on his behavior, I suspect there's more wrong with this particular individual than simple fame and riches.
O.J. was incarcerated at age 15 in San Francisco and was involved in gangs before he hit his teens. Someone taught him early in his life that the rules didn't apply to him. And none of us would have heard about any of his run-ins with the law if he hadn't been a celebrity.
2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 AM   #17
Tiddly

I hope he is locked away. I have always feared that there will be another killing when his children are older.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #18
Bluefish

The African-American community of course, can't be painted with a broad brush.

Black lawyers and journalists have been having a field day. See opinion piece by the respected columnist Eugene Robinson:

http://tinyurl.com/32so23
Bluefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #19
apologia

Blue,

Seems there are two issues (apples and oranges if you please) being pondered:

1) OJ's murder charge acquittal and 2) OJ's current arrest.

As far as I can/could tell, to hold that the outcome of the first had nothing to do with the race card is (beyond a shadow of a doubt IMO) "AND" seems to me to turn a blind eye and deaf ear to what actually transpired. Fact: the defense team stuck that dagger to the hilt in the prosecutors' case---and oh my, did it play well with the nearly all-black (and please forgive my political incorrectness of not ascribing to "African-American"---I'm simply an American, not an British-Irish-Native-Caucasian American) jury.

The current case/charges have nothing whatsoever to do w/race; however, don't be surprised if the issue isn't raised by the defense come trial time.

Last edited by apologia; 09-18-2007 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: (edited to add:) "AND"
apologia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #20
magic-cat

I caught a little bit of an interview today in which someone (a friend?) was already saying, "You can clearly see it was all entrapment. It was a set up. O.J. was set up."

What staggers the imagination is that there are people out there who can even conceive of the idea that various police departments around the country are looking for ways to set people up. Any people, not just O.J. As a friend from Miami told me, he was constantly in the news down there for one thing or another -- disturbing the peace, domestic violence (with his then-girlfriend), etc. He's obviously been living in a slightly altered state for many years now. But a set up?

As Dennis Miller said (after the 1995 acquittal), "There are those who believe that the entire Los Angeles police department somehow conspired together to frame O.J.... Folks, we're talking about the L.A.P.D. They can't even handle traffic after a Dodger game!"