Home Find a professional Feedback Find out what's new at Divorce Online

Old 07-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #21
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Any Paul McCartney Fans Here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy View Post
I have "Meet the Beatles", and most of the early albums in not so great shape (dimes on the stylus to keep from skipping ). My kids think I should sell them on ebay..worth anything? I also have a bunch of singles, Hey Jude, love me do, and on another note , judy in disguise (with glasses).
Sadly, they're probably not worth much at all. Condition is VERY critical... as is the printing, the cover, the date of the release and so on. There were many different iterations of Beatles pressings back then... so only the obscure are valuable if in "so-so" condition.

Meet The Beatles was never considered a true Beatles Album. It was a collection of songs packaged for the US market. Beatles albums are those where the recording was an entire recording session. In fact, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was only released in England as a single.

The "first" Beatles album was Please, Please Me release in the UK in 1963.

The regular issue of (UK) albums looks like this:
Please Please Me 1963
With The Beatles 1963
A Hard Day's Night 1964
Beatles For Sale 1964
Help! 1965
Rubber Soul 1965
Revolver 1966
A Collection of Beatles Oldies 1966
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 1967
Magical Mystery Tour 1967
The Beatles (The White Album) 1968 (2 disc)
Yellow Submarine 1969
Abbey Road 1969
Let It Be 1970

These were all produced by George Martin.. though oddly, Let It Be, which was actually recorded BEFORE Abbey Road, was release re-produced by Phil Spector - yes, THAT Phil Spector.

To my mind, "Sir" George Martin is very much a Beatle. He and his son were responsible for all the re-mix and digitizing of the music used for Cirque d' Soliel's show LOVE.

Some fun things to own or look for are the EPs. They look like 45's but they'll have 4-6 songs on them. In fact, Magical Mystery Tour was released as a 3 EP set.

And, of course, Mono recordings are always a "find."

Admin

Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 PM   #22
steamy

Admin~ "Condition is VERY critical...".I also failed to mention my collection of albums is also Darwin's (^..^) favorite scratching post. They just look great in my book shelves. I laugh when my sons share my albums and the other kids laugh and say "Yeah my mom has that too"...badge of honor or something, so who doesn't have, Dark Side of the Moon. Weirdos huh?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:42 PM   #23
CheroCreek

The lunatics are on the grass
Remembering games
And daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep those loonies on the path

The lunatic is in the hall
The lunatics are in my hall
The paper holes
They're folded faces to the floor
And everyday the paper boy brings more

Nope, never heard of The Dark Side of the Moon.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #24
steamy

You're weird Chero! :0)

Ok so i have this album " The Section: Fork it over" with a big fork on the front and love the first tune, Suckers on Parade (Russ Kunkel)I can't find it to download. Also Allen Parsons project edition of Peter & the Wolf... Help me if you can......I'm feeling downnnnn (Not really)
Old 07-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #25
willowtree

I missed the Beatles phenomenon by about five years, having been born in '59.... So as I got old enough to really appreciate Beatles music, they were "oldies", even the last stuff. But I had a thing for the music anyway.

When I was 11, after they broke up, I asked my parents for a Beatles album for Christmas. Considering how young my parents were, you'd think they would love The Beatles. But the 'rents were lost after the whole folk thing died out. That was their last gasp as "coolness". Best I could get from them after that was Neil Diamond

Anyway... they got me a Beatles album - Magical Mystery Tour (because they liked the picture on the front!) I fell in love with Paul all over again with "Fool on the Hill", and I discovered I could really freak my parents out playing "Blue Jay Way" Loud. Over and over. They hated it worse than "I Am the Walrus" and "Helter Skelter". Heeheehee....

Then the solo stuff hit, and I fell in love with all of them. First it was Ringo with "You're Sixteen" Then George. Paul and Wings. But mostly and forever - John. He was my favorite from the very beginning, with his caustic and intelligent wit, his soulful voice. The "John" songs are the ones that touch my heart most. When Double Fantasy hit the shelves after his hiatus it was like getting a piece of me back.

And then he was killed. I don't think I've ever cried that hard, or felt that disorientated with the world, until 9/11.

George became my favorite ex-Beatle. And then he died

But to go back to Harmony's original post - isn't it the BEST when music touches your spirit like that? It doesn't matter what it is, there is always something that will pull somone in and speak to their heart and soul and sometimes just make you want to dance! For me, Gospel, blues, Janis, Neil Young, some Grateful Dead, and a whole slew of newer stuff. Never even feel the urge to tap my feet to country music, but that's just me, when others are probably reading this and saying "What!? No country???"

U2. Little Feat. Motown. Funk. Steely Dan. (Try NOT dancing to Bodhisattva!)
Old 07-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #26
Harmony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Sadly, they're probably not worth much at all. Condition is VERY critical... as is the printing, the cover, the date of the release and so on. There were many different iterations of Beatles pressings back then... so only the obscure are valuable if in "so-so" condition.

Meet The Beatles was never considered a true Beatles Album. It was a collection of songs packaged for the US market. Beatles albums are those where the recording was an entire recording session. In fact, "I Want To Hold Your Hand" was only released in England as a single.

The "first" Beatles album was Please, Please Me release in the UK in 1963.

The regular issue of (UK) albums looks like this:
Please Please Me 1963
With The Beatles 1963
A Hard Day's Night 1964
Beatles For Sale 1964
Help! 1965
Rubber Soul 1965
Revolver 1966
A Collection of Beatles Oldies 1966
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 1967
Magical Mystery Tour 1967
The Beatles (The White Album) 1968 (2 disc)
Yellow Submarine 1969
Abbey Road 1969
Let It Be 1970

These were all produced by George Martin.. though oddly, Let It Be, which was actually recorded BEFORE Abbey Road, was release re-produced by Phil Spector - yes, THAT Phil Spector.

To my mind, "Sir" George Martin is very much a Beatle. He and his son were responsible for all the re-mix and digitizing of the music used for Cirque d' Soliel's show LOVE.

Some fun things to own or look for are the EPs. They look like 45's but they'll have 4-6 songs on them. In fact, Magical Mystery Tour was released as a 3 EP set.

And, of course, Mono recordings are always a "find."

Admin
<nodding head up and down> I'M IMPRESSED!!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 08:33 AM   #27
2ndWind

I was nine when the Beatles appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. Our whole family watched it. For Christmas in 1966, my dad gave me their Rubber Soul album. He loved the Beatles, even though he was around 36 when he first heard them. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I first heard the joke about the two kids in the record store in the 1980's, looking through Paul McCartney albums, when one comes across an old Beatles LP. The kid says to his friend, "Oh, that band? I think that's Paul McCartney's old group."
2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #28
CheroCreek

The one problem with the remixes of the Beatles music for transfer to CD si that whoever digitized the mixes did not balance the vocals correctly. I have Abbey Road and a few others on CD and there is at least one song on each where the vocals can barely be heard. The same happened with the collection of works by the late George Harrison "All Things Must Pass".

It wasn't just my copies either. Everyone I know who has the same CDs has the same problem on the exact same songs.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:58 PM   #29
Administrator
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheroCreek View Post
Remembering games
And daisy chains and laughs
Got to keep those loonies on the path

The lunatic is in the hall
The lunatics are in my hall
The paper holes
They're folded faces to the floor
And everyday the paper boy brings more

Nope, never heard of The Dark Side of the Moon.
Just downloaded the iTunes PLUS version of the album. I've owned that thing in every format known to man. I still own a few SEALED 1/2 Speed Master pressings. Sold a couple last year for $150 each. I'm not sure where it stands now, but last March it hit 1500 continuous weeks on the Billboard charts.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #30
CheroCreek

But do you know which one is pink, Admin?

Looking through my DVDs I see that I do have all the movies the Beatles ever made. at least that I know of, anyway.

A Hard Day's Night
Help
Yellow Submarine
Magical Mystery Tour

I also have most, if not all, the video releases from the Floyd:
At The Gates of Pompeii
The Wall
The Wall live concert
Delicate Sound of Thunder
Pulse

If I missed any, would someone let me know so I can go and find it.