Home Find a professional Feedback Find out what's new at Divorce Online

Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #21
ejmuller

Re: Disgusting or Surprisingly Good
I'd prefer almost anything to what was described in the opening message. Ugh.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #22
OnSolidPath

Location: The Evergreen State, and dreaming of the Sunshine States
I've had that chicken dish--or something similar and it was surprisingly good.
Not sure about the side dish--crackers, cheese and pineapple-- ewww.

4WM do you have one of those Dinner's Ready or Dream Dinners near you? I love our local one, affordable, clean, fast! My sister and I go in, on an evening, with the kids and we can have a week+ of meals done for 8 people in less than an hour. Best of all they do the clean up/dishes and it ends the old "what to make" dilemma.

I do too exercise! Every day I push my luck.
OnSolidPath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #23
2ndWind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Wardmarch View Post
The thing is my grandmother used to make at Christmas a green jello mold with pineapple, cheddar cheese and Cool Whip and some kind of nut (little walnuts maybe).
Don't let your son eat that Ritz cracker-sugar concoction...it looks like it's loaded with trans fats. Here's a recipe that's similar to the one your grandmother made....those jell-o salads were big in the 1950-1960's. This is one of my grandmother's recipes:

1 3-oz pkg lemon jell-o
1 C boiling water
3/4 C pineapple juice
1 T lemon juice
1 1/4 C drained, crushed pineapple
1 C (1/4 lb) sharp cheddar cheese
1 C heavy cream, whipped (sub in the tub of Cool Whip here)
lettuce

Dissolve gelatin in water; add juices. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in crushed pineapple, cheese, and whipped cream and pour into 1 1/2 qt mold. Chill. Unmold on lettuce.
2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #24
poolman

Should I post that grilled Hawaiian chicken recipe that the kids list as a 5 star? No cutting or chopping just marinate for a day or two and have the old man grill them.
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
CheroCreek

4WM, if the kids, or even Starion, doesn't like your recipie (the one at the beginning of this topic) then you can come here and cook like that all you want.

Actually, pineapple is one food that you can't really "kill". Regardless if it is cooked, canned or eaten plain, there will always be active emzymes present. Pineapple helps with digestion.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #26
ghead1

the pineapple thing sounds "sort of" like the Ritz cracker fake apple pie. As for the chicken... I guess if you just marinate the chicken in that, not bake it all together, it wouldn't be too bad. I like fruit juice as a marinade, I use lime juice a lot with chicken and pork.

It would seem like an easy time of the year to make really easy dinners... fresh fruit, salad, corn on the cob. toss some meat on the grill (I have been using the heck out of the Foreman grill lately, since we have been cooking at two houses). The next thing I want to try on the Foreman grill is pineapple! sliced, maybe a tiny bit of brown sugar for browning, and grill it to serve with either pork chops (also great on the Foreman grill), or teriyaki chicken.

With a big family, many more complications... if it were me, with all the different schedules, I'd stick with stuff that can be eaten cold. I love taco salad, chicken salads, pasta salad... and you can cram all sorts of interesting vegetables in there. Kids can chop all the veges, grate cheese...

One thing that might help with advance planning is to cook meats on Sunday, like brown several pounds of ground beef, drain and freeze, or cook some pork roasts in the crock pot or oven, then shred and freeze. Then you just pull out the meat, and toss into a cassarole, or tacos, or shredded pork sandwiches... and add your fresh side dishes. Less dishes too!

Seng T'san
ghead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:19 PM   #27
poolman

This is funny, Just the other day I gave a friend I work with some BBQ chicken. He said "YOU COOK? dude don't ever let a woman know you can cook or you'll be stuck in the kitchen"

All of my brothers are great at cooking and one has a stove that I envy. It probably cost as much as my pool. Total commercial stainless steel, both gas and electric burners (8) and two ovens, grill and seperate flat cook top.
It must be 12ft long and has the restaurant style exhaust fan that will lift you off the floor.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:36 PM   #28
4Wardmarch

Verdict:

The chicken dish was surprisingly good. It was very tender and juicy, and the chicken breasts produced a lot of chicken juice that melded the flavors. I served it with peas and egg noodles. It was like a sophisticated sweet and sour chicken.

"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
4Wardmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #29
poolman

Honestly it does sound worth a try.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:39 PM   #30
poolman

OK force me to give this recipe, just try it

Marinade...
1/2 cup soy sauce
2/3 cup sherry wine
2 cups pineapple juice
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp garlic powder

Soak the chicken breast for a day or two in the marinade and then sear them on the grill just enough to get the charred effect and pull them off. Put them in a baking dish and cover with provolone in the oven to finish cooking and add the grilled pineapple rings as a garnish.

Cook a pot of rice, scramble a couple of eggs in a big skillet with some butter, soy sauce, sesame seed and the rice. Just pretend to be Japanese chef.

A dinner to die for .