Home Find a professional Feedback Find out what's new at Divorce Online

Old 06-11-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
Stariondad

Re: Disgusting or Surprisingly Good
I think someone needs to make a bunch more money (or hit the lottery) and have a house husband who takes care of this. Problem solved ! <bg>

And just in case some are having "that" thought..... I do cook around here some. It's hush hush - but I rate. Shhhhh. <g>

Thanks AMC - we'll just have to quadruple that.
Stariondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 AM   #12
Phoebe

4WM or can anyone explain to me what a low sodium diet is? My cardiologist recommends this. I do not add salt to my food when I am cooking or eating. I don't like the taste of salt. I very seldom have chips of anykind because of salt. I only like Manny's salt free chips because the dip is very high in salt. Someone said to me, that there is salt in everything.

Seems like a lot of food is out of the question for me? Are there salt subsitution? If so, what? When I have salt craving, I usually eat pretzels because I get sick of it so quickly. My pretzel supply last a long time.

Sorry for thread drift!!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #13
BriarRose

Simple and easy and quick if not exactly healthy. What we used to call beef barf and gravy at school. I made it MUCH better. Brown the HECK out of hamburger and onions. Brown it enough so it will actually make a brown NOT grey gravy and the onions are caramelized. Add flour and water and Kitchen Bouquet and a HEAP of black pepper. Serve ever mashed potatoes.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #14
4Wardmarch

We don't do hot-spicy. The kids' favorites are vegetable beef soup, home made chicken pot pie, ham croquettes (note the favorites all require a lot of peeling and chopping), taco pie, shepherd's pie, this beef pocket thing with cheese sause, sloppy joes, parmesan chicken, corned beef and potatoes, pork tenderloin and homemade mac and cheese, and teriyaki stir fry. Oh and they do like grilled cheese sandwiches and pigs in a blanket, but I have to make so many of them that I might as well do a stir fry.

(Grill cheese sandwiches are great if on the inside you add mayonaise and mustard--it gives an extra creaminess and tang, but you really can't identify the flavors)

I'm looking for things though that take less than about 15 minutes to prepare (I know, I know, I'm dreaming. You get back what you put in. But if it's good, this chicken dish took less than 5 to put together). Cooking time doesn't matter too much (since I can lay on the couch ).

I have the added problem of quantity and timing. Some days I have three little kids, and some days I have an additional 4 teenage boys, and often some of the kids don't eat until after work or until later, or if Starion has a business lunch he won't eat until 10 or 11 at night. So it's got to 'hold' well.

"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
4Wardmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 AM   #15
Phoebe

Starion, my husband does cook around here and my kids (especially Bermie) will tell you he is a very good cook. Even lil pheebs has told me my cooking is terrible. My husband said its because my food is plain. Scuse me, do I look like Julia Child???

I think the secret to good food are cooks who LIKE to cook. I don't enjoy it. Its a chore I'd skip if I could. At least 4wm is lucky to have you. I am lucky but I have my days when my hubby works all night so I am alone with three musketeers!!! And a heavy breathing dog! (Should anyone break in, they should expect some heavy breathing and it's not sexy sounding!!)

ahhh good night..
Old 06-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #16
4Wardmarch

Oh yeah, the kids clean up. And if they hide the dishes under the sink and dash out of the house when my back is turned, they get a phone call from me to come back--and i dont care where you are--and do the job.

"Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." -- Elie Weisel
4Wardmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:08 AM   #17
Phoebe

I forgot grilled cheese, now I know what we are having for dinner tmrw night. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:21 AM   #18
amc123

Homemade chicken soup. Less then ten minute prep time. wash chicken cut celery, onion, and carrots. Throw them all in a pot add water....use spices, rosemary, bayleaf, sage, thyme, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper. (can of tomatoes, optional). Cook till chicken is done. While you are waiting for chicken to cook, boil water for noodles....

I guess it is obvious that I have insomnia tonight.
amc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #19
RealTime

Could we please make this into a sex thread? I had such high hopes. Disgusting and surprisingly good.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:29 AM   #20
kara.

I thought it was going to be a thread on the Sopranos finale...